Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh has said that his government will honor Union Home Minister Amit Shah for his role in introducing the Inner Line Permit (ILP) system in the northeastern state. Shah will be in Imphal on Sunday as part of his visit to the Northeast. Biren Singh said, “We are also appealing to people to join this program, which is being lauded by the role of Union Home Minister Amit Shahji in introducing the ILP (Inner Line Permit) system in the state.”
Outsiders, including people from other states of the country, are required to seek permission to visit the states under the ILP regime. The objective of the ILP system is to prevent the settlement of other Indian citizens in the states covered by it to protect the indigenous population in terms of land, jobs and other facilities.
Here you need to know about the Inner Line Permit (ILP) system:
1. ILP is issued to allow an Indian citizen to travel in a protected area for a limited period. This system was formally introduced on 1 January 2020 in Manipur.
2. Manipur is the fourth state in the Northeast where this system is in force. Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Mizoram also come under ILP regime.
3. No Indian citizen can visit any of these states unless they belong to that state nor can they go beyond the period specified in the ILP.
4. The concept of ILP comes from the colonial region. Under the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation Act, 1873, British Friendly Rules were enacted to restrict entry and regulate outsiders’ stay in designated areas and to protect their own business interests in these areas.
5. An ILP is issued by the concerned state government and can be obtained online or physically after applying. Areas of travel and the areas that ILP holders can travel are outlined in the document.
6. The ILP system has also been demanded in various other northeastern states.
7. The system was also discussed in the light of the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, which makes it easier for non-Muslim refugees from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan to obtain Indian citizenship. If the CAB is implemented under the ILP regime with provisions excluding states, it means that the beneficiaries under the CAB will become Indian citizens, but will not be able to settle in these three states. No clear decision has been taken by the Center regarding the status of ILP.
STAY TUNED WITH US FOR MORE INTERESTING CONTENT ONLY ON DESINEW.XYZ