The name Gwadar is a combination of two Balochi words Gwad (meaning gate) and Dar (meaning gateway) thus Gwadar means “gate of wind”. It is derived from “Gedrosia”, the ancient name given by the Greeks to the semi-arid belt of the province of Balochistan, which consists of three mountain ranges, the Makran Coastal, the Central Makran and the Sihanan ranges. Gwadar is a hammer-shaped peninsula in the Arabian Sea along the west coast of Pakistan in the province of Balochistan. It is located at the height of the Arabian Sea and at the mouth of the Persian Gulf, about 630 km west of Karachi, 75 km east of the Pakistan border with Iran and the port of Muscat, 380 km (240 miles) northeast of Oman. Located in the east. Off the strategic Ras Al Hadd Strait across the Arabian Sea, it is a natural and strategic location for a warm, deep sea port.
The Muslim Arab army led by Muhammad bin Qasim captured the city of Gwadar in 711 AD. In the following centuries, the region became a battleground between various Iranian and Indian powers. In 1783, the Khan of Kalat gave Gwadar to Timur Sultan, the defeated ruler of Muscat. When Timur recaptured Muscat, he continued to rule Gwadar by appointing a guardian or governor. The fort of Gwadar was built during the Omani period, while the British extended the telegraph lines in Gwadar. When Pakistan gained independence in 1947, Gwadar was still under Omani rule. With the independence of Pakistan and the annexation of several Baloch states in Pakistan, the states of Kharan, Makran and Lasbela recognized Pakistan on 17 March 1948, including the Chief Commissioner of the province of British Balochistan. On March 27, 1948, the state of Kalat began to increase the demand of Gwadar residents to join Pakistan, leading to a formal request from Sultan Muscat and Oman, Syed bin Timur, for the transfer of the Gwadar area (approximately 24,400 square meters) to Pakistan. Requested. Miles area (Pakistan). After four years of negotiations, the seventh Prime Minister of Pakistan, Mr. Feroz Khan Noon, announced that the transfer of the British Parliament had been agreed upon. Coincidentally, she was the wife of the Prime Minister, Waqar al-Nisa Noon, who played a very important role and she went to London in 1956 to obtain the approval of the British Prime Minister and Parliament for the British Colony of Oman to hand over Gwadar to Pakistan. I worked hard. Pakistan bought the Gwadar raid from the Sultanate of Muscat and Oman for 30 million. Gwadar officially became part of Pakistan on December 8, 1958. Ms. Aga Khan III paid the amount and gifted Gwadar to Pakistan and made it part of Balochistan Province.
Once the transition process between Oman and Pakistan was finalized, the Government of Pakistan handed over the official ceremony to Vice Admiral HMS Chaudhry, then Commander-in-Chief of the Pakistan Navy, in-charge. ۔ The activity code name ‘Operation Bravo’ was assigned to the event. Mr. Agha Abdul Hamad, Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, arrived in Karachi from Gwadar on September 8, 1958 on a ship with a contingent of SS Sardhana Karachi Navy Communications Unit. SS Sardhana, a British-owned cargo ship with passengers, operated a fortnightly service between Karachi, Bahrain and Muscat, and stopped to pick up / drop off cargo and men en route to Gwadar during anchoring. ۔ Upon arrival, the Navy unit contacted PNS Babar, anchored at Gwadar Bay.
The handover ceremony took place outside the office of the local political agent. PNS Babar presented a guard of honor on behalf of Muscat Sultan led by then Lieutenant Iftikhar A. Shirohi and Wali of Gwadar who handed over the papers of Gwadar area to the representative of Pakistan government and outside the office of political agent. Pakistan flag was raised. PNS Babar saluted 21 guns to welcome the region as part of West Pakistan. The Government of Pakistan has integrated Gwadar in Balochistan as the District Headquarters of the newly formed Gwadar District, which effectively coordinates all matters pertaining to the area.
To make better use of its operational assets, Admiral K. R. Niazi realized the importance of the development of the coastal region in the early eighties. A key requirement in this regard was the PN’s ability to maintain a strong naval presence along the coast west of Cape Mons. The first naval camp at Gwadar was set up in 1983 in random tents on Mount Noah (Mount Noah). In 1979, it was decided to build a temporary jetty on the coast that would be more practical and strategically beneficial for naval operations. The hydrographic survey vessel PSN ZULIFIQUR (F-265) visited potential locations along the Makran coast where the depth of water, wind and tidal conditions were most suitable for a location in the eastern bay of Gwadar (under Demi) as it Not only was it fulfilled. A safe berth was ideal for all hydrographic needs but for connecting remote areas with road communications. Due to the lack of infrastructure or roads, the ship was used for the first time in Gwadar to transport building materials for the jetty contract. The jetty was built in September 1979 with the help and technical support of Frontier Works.
In early 1979, the Pakistan Navy decided to introduce the Hammerhead and CES Piark series exercises. The decision played a significant role in the rapid development of coastal facilities on the Makran coast, with the jump-off of naval and patrol craft squadron bases. The first SES Piark exercise in November 1979 proved Gwadar’s usefulness and role as a forward base. In July 1982, government approval. The first Coastal Establishment of Pakistan Navy on Makran Coast was acquired to get commission. On this, all the necessary preparations for setting up the first Independent Coastal Establishment Base on the coast of Makran were initiated as ‘Forward Operating Base’ and the Pakistan Navy visiting the Forward Base will be assigned host.
The timely and systematic success of the development of the first Establishment, the officers and men worked hard till the establishment of PNS Ikram on July 31, 1987. Officers and men spared no effort in preparing for the historic occasion. Supporting the detachment of the Coast Guard in Gwadar and the representatives / leaders of the BSF (Balochistan Student Federation) played a major role in the overall development of the first naval base in Gwadar. On the day of commissioning of PNS Ikram, CNS hoisted the Pakistani flag and PN Jack flag after which the commissioning plaque was unveiled. DC Gwadar and Baloch representatives were also present at the commissioning ceremony.
In today’s environment, the port of Gwadar is an ideal location at the mouth of the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf of Oman and opposite strategic square points. The port is designed to serve as a regional hub for trade traffic to the Middle East and the Gulf. The commencement of commercial activities at the port of Gwadar in recent years will complement Karachi Port and Port Qasim. It will attract transportation and transshipment trade from many countries. Indirect immovable benefits to the people of the region and the national economy from this port. By making Gwadar the hub of regional trade, Pakistan will also attract significant investment in Balochistan. In addition, combat capability depends on the availability of POL to the Armed Forces for effective combat. Therefore, keeping in view the importance of SLOC for uninterrupted supply of oil, Gwadar Port will provide much needed alternative to Karachi / Qasim ports.
STAY TUNED WITH US FOR MORE INTERESTING CONTENT ONLY ON DESINEW.XYZ