India closes case against Italian maritime authorities for killing fishermen

India’s Supreme Court has dropped long-running proceedings against two Italian sailors who shot dead two fishermen from Kerala in 2012, but said the soldiers should now be tried in their own country. Should be run.

Salvatore Geron and Massimiliano Letیرre killed unarmed people off the coast of southern India in February 2012 while guarding an Italian oil tanker as part of a piracy mission.

After nearly a decade of legal story between Rome and Delhi, India accepted an offer of compensation of Rs 100 million (70,970,000) in April.

Dismissing the case, India’s Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that Rs 40 million would be given to each family member and the remaining Rs 2 million to the owner of the fishing boat used by the men.

Italy’s foreign minister, Luigi Di Maio, tweeted that the order “puts an end to this long incident.”

But the Supreme Court said the Italian government should immediately initiate criminal proceedings against the two Marines within its jurisdiction and that Indian authorities would provide evidence in the matter.

Italy had argued that the Marines were in international waters and fired on the fishing boat because it had failed to evade warning.

India called it a “double murder at sea” and arrested and charged members of Italy’s elite San Marco Marines – Gero اورn and Latiere – with genocide.

In 2015, Italy took the matter to the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) in The Hague, which ruled last year that the navy was entitled to immunity.

In 2016, the same tribunal allowed Geron, who was housed at the Italian embassy in New Delhi, to return to Italy. Leiter returned home for treatment two years ago after suffering a stroke.

STAY TUNED WITH US FOR MORE INTERESTING CONTENT ONLY ON DESINEW.XYZ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *