A local government administration in Uttar Pradesh has been accused of filing a “false and baseless” police report against eight Muslim leaders in a case filed in an Indian court for “illegally” destroying their mosque. Demolition was opposed.
Last month, the bulldozing of Masjid Garib Nawaz, known as Barabanki District, was ordered by the local administration, which provoked outrage and many local Muslims went into hiding.
In the days leading up to the demolition, the Barabanki administration filed a police case against eight local Muslim leaders who resisted the demolition, accusing them of forging documents that would make the mosque illegal on government land. Has been registered as
In a petition filed in the Allahabad High Court on Tuesday, representatives of the mosque administration alleged that a “false and baseless” police report had been made against the Muslim leaders.
In an order, the judges found that the state government had not provided the court with any evidence of forged or forged documents, but had given the government three more weeks to present evidence. Nominated Muslims in the case were also protected from arrest.
The local administration, which ordered the mosque to be flattened on May 17, called it an “illegal structure” encroaching on government land. The demolition has been compared to the demolition of the Babri Masjid, which was destroyed in 1992 by a mob of Hindus.
The Uttar Pradesh government is governed by the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which also controls the central government. The Chief Minister of the state, Yogi Adityanath, is one of the party’s hardline leaders, known for his anti-Muslim rhetoric.
Following the demolition of the mosque, officials from the Masjid Garib Nawaz Al-Maroof Committee and the Uttar Pradesh Waqf Board, which oversees the running of all mosques in the state, called the demolition “clearly illegal” and demanded its reconstruction ۔ .
Since then, the Barabanki administration has denied that there is a mosque on any grounds, calling the building an “illegal construction.” However, documents viewed by the Guardian show that the building was first listed as a mosque with a government agency in 1968. Chaudhry Hussain, 65, also confirmed that the local administration had appointed his father Anwar Hussain as caretaker of the mosque in 1956. And 1986; He said that it has been standing since the British era.
After the demolition, the Barabanki administration suffered for weeks against the mosque committee and the Muslims worshiping there. A notice was sent to the committee alleging that the structure was “illegal construction” and tensions arose when Muslims clashed with police after clashes with police that resulted in dozens of arrests.
The decision to demolish the mosque is also alleged to be in violation of a high court order passed on April 24, which ordered a halt to all demolition and eviction in Uttar Pradesh till May 31. ۔
Barabanki District Magistrate Adarsh Singh said that the administration fully complied with the law.
STAY TUNED WITH US FOR MORE INTERESTING CONTENT ONLY ON DESINEW.XYZ