Members of the Hazara community continued to sit in Quetta on Tuesday, refusing to bury the coal miners killed in a brutal attack on Sunday, until their demands were met and the budget was denied.
The community protested on Quetta-Sibi Highway (Western Bypass) near Hazara Town where the bodies of the deceased were laid to rest.
Due to the presence of protesters, the area was completely closed to traffic, making it difficult for passers-by as well as transporters to find their luggage.
The demonstration also saw a large group of women and children, with pictures of their loved ones killed in the tragic incident.
The day before, 2,500 protesters had gathered in coffins with eight bodies.
“We will not end our protest until all the killers are arrested,” said Agha Dawood, head of the Shiite Conference. AFP.
“If decisive action is not taken at this stage, the latest wave of killings will spread to other cities, including Quetta,” he added.
The interior minister is visiting the protest camp
Balochistan Home Minister Mir Ziaullah Lango, along with other provincial ministers, visited the protest camp today.
The leaders vowed to continue their protest until the prime minister leaves for Quetta.
“We demand that the Prime Minister come to Quetta and meet us in person.” Hazara Committee representative Agha Syed Mohammad Raza said.
“Those who killed our people and their arrogance must be punished,” he added.
Balochistan Finance Minister Mir Zahoor Ahmed Baledi said: “We have come to you before and will continue to support you.”
Traders announce shutter down strike
The Balochistan Business Association, led by Muhammad Rahim Kakar, also arrived at the scene to meet the protesters.
The association has announced a citywide shutter down strike on Thursday.
Protests in other cities
Demonstrations in support of the community were also held in Karachi and Gilgit.
The children were seen with the adults.
While briefing the Prime Minister, Sheikh Rashid visited Quetta
To address the demands of the protesters – including the resignation of the Balochistan government and the departure of Prime Minister Imran Khan to Quetta. – Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid met with the group on Monday.
He said he was ready to accept all Hazara demands, except for the resignation of the Balochistan government.
Rashid announced a compensation of Rs. 250,000 for the families of each of the slain coal miners.
“Each family of martyrs will be given Rs 1 million by the Prime Minister and Rs 1.5 million by the Chief Minister of Balochistan,” he told the media.
After returning to the capital today, he briefed the Prime Minister on his visit and the demands of the Hazara leaders.
Ten callers were killed and four were injured when gunmen attacked them in a coal field in Balochistan’s Bolan District on Sunday.
According to police, the coal miners were taken to nearby mountains where they were shot.
Local government official Abid Abid Saleem said the 10 miners were abducted just before dawn on Sunday as they slept near a remote coal mine in the hilly Machh area, 60km southeast of Quetta city.
Security officials, who did not want to be named, said AFP The assailants first tied the ears to their hands and feet and killed them before taking them to the hills.
Two of the miners were Afghans and their bodies were sent to Afghanistan for burial, a local security official said. AFP.
Officials said Monday that ten people had been killed in the attack, and that the previous death toll had risen to 11. AFP Reported
The militant group Dash, which monitors militant activity around the world, has claimed responsibility for the attack, according to SITE Intelligence.
– With additional input from AFP.
STAY TUNED WITH US FOR MORE INTERESTING CONTENT ONLY ON DESINEW.XYZ